I have had a few questions lately from readers about how I’ve managed to grow my nails to a long-ish length (not too long, I personally don’t want to have talons or claws LOL, I wear contacts and that would be dangerous) and keep them that way. So I’ve assembled a list of tips and tricks to help you! I am not a nail expert but these are things that I have found helpful and that have worked for me.
1. Your nails are jewels, not tools! This is my most favorite saying ever. Do not use your nails to pick sticky price tags off of things and do not use them to open things like pop cans. Do not tap your nails on hard surfaces, do not scratch them against anything, hopefully you get the idea. Just chant “jewels not tools” in your mind, hundreds of times, over and over again, until it sticks.
2. Which brings me to this tip, wear rubber gloves AT ALL TIMES when doing dishes or chores around the house, especially when using any cleaning products. Period. Have you ever broke or chipped a nail while srubbing something and you jam your fingernail into a hard surface? Exactly. Ouch!
3. Do not cut your nails with clippers unless it is an emergency or something. Using clippers puts a huge amount of unnecessary pressure on your nails and can cause splitting. Use a crystal nail file when you need to take any length off of your nails. Use only a crystal file, no old fashioned emery boards or stainless files.
4. Keep something on your nails at all times whether it is nail polish or a treatment product like China Glaze Gel Calcium Nail Fortifier. This should actually be tip #1 but I really did not put these in any particular order. If you only take one bit of my advice, this should be it. Followed my #1 here (“jewels not tools”) which should be #2 after this one.
5. Moisture. Constant moisture. Wash your hands? Moisturize. Cough? Moisturize. Breathe? Moisturize. Hopefully you are catching on. I use CND Cuticle Eraser about 3 to 4 times a day followed by CND Solar Oil and then hand lotion. My boyfriend thinks I am an obsessed freak and maybe I am. But take a look at his nails and cuticles and then take a look at mine. Sorry honey, but you don’t read this anyway.
That is all I can think of for now but I reserve the right to update this when I discover something new.
On to some other stuff:
Have you entered my giveaway yet?
Have you seen my OPI 90210 collection swatches yet?
Have you seen the China Glaze Romantique swatches yet? Just want to make sure that you guys haven't missed any of the really good stuff lately.
See you later. Love you, readers!! Thank you for reading e-polishblog. It truly means the world to me!!
Also, if you use Google Reader or any other blog reader, why don't you take a second and subscribe to e-polishblog? You can at the top right hand corner of my blog. It would seriously mean the world to me. I've recently started using Google Reader to keep up with my favorite blogs and I freaking love it.